Popular Posts

Friday, January 13, 2012

Introduction to Facing History in Ourselves

This is no ordinary history course. Before I had even taken the course, this is what I had heard from my peers who took the class. The students would tell me how amazing the course was. Many people said that it is a life changing experience and they believed it should be a mandatory class during high school I would see people leaving the classes with somber faces, and hear about all of their new experiences. And by the end of their semester, they were changed people. I needed to know what this class was all about. I wanted that life changing course and inspirational teacher. So when I was choosing what my senior schedule would be the first class I picked was Facing History in Ourselves.
The facing history course is all about who you are, and what type of person you are. By the end of the course, you find out whether or not you are perpetrator, victim, bystander, rescue or resistance. Entering the course, at some point I had been every one of these words. Including a perpetrator. But after taking this course, I try my hardest to never be the bully or the one who puts others down. And I definitely am no longer ever a bystander. I found myself most often times to be the rescuer. Preventing put downs and standing up not just for myself but also other people. And once you find where you stand on this chain, and learn about what you think during different points in history, then that is succeeding in the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment